So much for "original"

NyraHKf

yeah i think everyone has the right to be angry when they have worked hard on drawing their pieces while one of the winners just coppied anothers work and does not even fullfil the most obvious rule of the contest "Your Photos and artwork must be original and cannot upload others work."

Please correct me if im mistaken or have a misunderstanding.

dualswordmaster

Squid Slayer
Game Volunteer
yeah i think everyone has the right to be angry when they have worked hard on drawing their pieces while one of the winners just coppied anothers work and does not even fullfil the most obvious rule of the contest "Your Photos and artwork must be original and cannot upload others work."

Please correct me if im mistaken or have a misunderstanding.
well his work ORIGINAL... that's how copyrights work if u use some think and add ur point of view (Rum bottle with XXX like rum in game) its become original

Looks to me like it was traced/drawn with colored pencils. The colors aren't even close to matching, the feather on his hat is different and a few other things are different.

As for the saying "Why's the rum always gone?" That's a famous saying from The Pirates of the Caribbean movie with Johnny Depp. Its a play on words because "Rum" is the currency of the games item mall.

It does resemble the pictures above but I think it was just used as inspiration for the final result.

Just my two cents.

flynfreako

Now everybody is going to trace images if there's another art contest lmao. So boring. =3=

But seriously, the art world would still consider this plagiarism (or unethical at least), but okay I guess haha. Like, it would be different if there wasn't a prize worth real value or if the original art was credited, but if you trace something, act like it was all your idea, and gain something that's the equivalent of real money, then that is actually fraud lol. Art classes teach not to trace or copy reference photos for good reasons.

Since the contest is so small right now, I'm sure in this case it won't matter since the original artist won't notice, and might not even care. If they were playing PKO I'm sure they would file a claim though lol. Do you know how many art sites take original artists' claims of art theft on traced art and ban people for it?

But people who aren't artists probably don't even think about it... as you can see from the comments defending the winner here haha... so maybe the person who traced and won didn't even realize. It's still fraud though since there's "financial gain" and no credit to the original artist :p So I'd put no tracing in the rules if there's another contest just to be safe.

AmiDami

I agree. Although the drawing (or tracing?) was good, it is not original and breaks the rules. Maybe we should have a coloring contest instead? The developers give players a choice of things to color (centered around the theme of PKO) and the best coloring job wins. They could give us options which we then print, color, and submit. That way at least there is no cheating. I don't know just my opinion haha.