News Maintenance [6-21-17]

Zankza

~
Staff member
We will be having a server/infrastructure maintenance on this upcoming Wednesday. Which is roughly 48 hours from this topic creation. The purpose of this maintenance is to move the servers into to newer generation hardware, additionally, will begin to use new re-written gameserver codebase. This new codebase will give us the final tool needed too build of many things we have elaborated in past, including HoP, Guilds Expansions, Item Mall's hiccups, and MORE! Due to nature of too big of code-changes, it means that we will be running the game on what we call "unknown code" even though we've ran and tested the code many times, it is still unknown how it will respond to thousand users playing and literally hammering it with every function, every corner, every bit of codebase. We do not know how the new codebase will respond to this, it could be flawlessly fluently, or it could be catastrophic, either way we have prepared our self with quite a lot of time and necessary tooling to step-in at anytime. As hard it is to admit this, but it is "expected" that we will somehow mess up somewhere, somehow, in extreme cases we might have to roll back server if a MAJOR flaw is discovered. We'll try our best to minimize the disruption and make things run smoothly, but if anything does happen, we ask you please to be patient and manage your expectations starting this Wednesday.

Date: June 21, 2017
Time: 11:00:00 UTC
Length: 8 Hours (Our best estimation, could be shorter, could be longer)

FAQ

What's new?

This time it's only the back end is being upgraded, they are to be followed with front end updates later on. This means the back-end is not visually changes nor game-content influence, it is only the front-end that accommodates new game content and visually changes.

What changes will I see?
In theory, nothing. But it is possible something behaves differently, IE a game feature is doing something differently before. You should not worry about what has been changed, as it stands there should be nothing that has changed yet.

What if I found something new?
While there should be nothing new at all, we cannot promise that however. Due to extra-circumstance some things may feel differently than last time, but as long they preform the intended purpose, you should just not mind it. In general, if something doesn't behave as originally, ask yourself: is this change good or bad? If it's good then you don't have to alert us, but if it is bad then you should alert us.

What if something doesn't behave like usually?
You may experience less stutters but you might experience new additional stutters, in this case if you feel the game to be more responsive, you do not have to alert us, but however if you feel more less responsive, you may want to write a topic about this experience so we can look onto it. In general, if something doesn't behave as originally, ask yourself: is this change good or bad? If it's good then you don't have to alert us, but if it is bad then you should alert us.

How can I alert you guys?
Write a topic. Talk to Staff in Discord. Write a post in this topic.

Pirate King Online Team

LukycaBlack

Brawling Shipboy
Really glad about this.
I've got few questions about this...
•In case of rollback, how much backwards will we go?
•Is there need of taking screenshots of our accounts and items?
•What is Item Mall's hiccups?
•What is HoP? (I might've heard it somewhere but I am unsure so I rather ask)

Good luck. Wish you all the best with this.

Zankza

~
Staff member
Really glad about this.
I've got few questions about this...
•In case of rollback, how much backwards will we go?
•Is there need of taking screenshots of our accounts and items?
•What is Item Mall's hiccups?
•What is HoP? (I might've heard it somewhere but I am unsure so I rather ask)

Good luck. Wish you all the best with this.
For security reason I can't disclose the first two questions, attacker might have know how our system works but as first line of defense, it's better to not disclose it.

We re-wrote whole in-game item mall so it's no longer leveraging a external sub-service, it's now completely integration to the gameserver, adopting a lua process. In high theory things are gonna be same, but some orders may lag out or so. we'll see.

Don't worry about HoP for now. we'll talk more about it later.

LukycaBlack

Brawling Shipboy
For security reason I can't disclose the first two questions, attacker might have know how our system works but as first line of defense, it's better to not disclose it.
Well, gonna take screenshots of everything just in case of problems.

We re-wrote whole in-game item mall so it's no longer leveraging a external sub-service, it's now completely integration to the gameserver, adopting a lua process. In high theory things are gonna be same, but some orders may lag out or so. we'll see.
Why doing it if it will lag? Sorry if I am getting this wrong, but if I understood it might lag on orders. That makes no sense to me.

Zankza

~
Staff member
Well, gonna take screenshots of everything just in case of problems.

Why doing it if it will lag? Sorry if I am getting this wrong, but if I understood it might lag on orders. That makes no sense to me.
a scripting code may have contained two thousand lines of codes, most of time our CPUs churn those codes of lines in less a millisecond, but sometime some code are waiting for other code to finish, and sometime the X code that's waiting for Y code to finish is actually code Y waiting for X to finish. It's not a exact science but I think I tried to explain.

LukycaBlack

Brawling Shipboy
a scripting code may have contained two thousand lines of codes, most of time our CPUs churn those codes of lines in less a millisecond, but sometime some code are waiting for other code to finish, and sometime the X code that's waiting for Y code to finish is actually code Y waiting for X to finish. It's not a exact science but I think I tried to explain.
Got it. Thanks for explaining. Well explained too. +1

Zankza

~
Staff member
This is happening in 15 minutes, be prepared, the website will be unaccessible as well.

DeepLovE

Hello Mr. Zankza,

I wish that everything goes well with the game.

I just wonder, can you give us more details about the instant approximate time required before the game run again?

Best Wishes for you and all the game administrators :D